Friday, April 16, 2010

Bye Bye Smelly Kitchen Sponge

At work the other day, a few of us were in the break room for some much needed down time. I could smell this stale smell coming from the sink. Come to find out, it was the sponge. It doesn't get used that often, and it smelt really bad. One of the Dr's I work with suggested wetting the sponge and putting it in the microwave for 20 seconds. He stated that the radiation in the microwave would kill any bacteria on the sponge. We did it, and it worked. The sponge did not smell as bad any longer. I haven't yet figured out how often this has to be done, but I suggest if you are going out of town for a week or so, and you don't want a smelly sponge when you get home, try it!


  1. I've also heard to pour vinegar on it and rinse it out and it will get rid of the smell too. :)